What do Financial Counsellors do?
In a nutshell, financial counselling helps you manage your debts and get your finances back under control.
Financial counsellors are skilled professionals who provide advice and support to people struggling with bills and debt. A financial counsellor can:
- Assess your financial situation
- Provide advice about what to do if you’re struggling to pay bills and fines
- Help you negotiate with government agencies, your landlord, utilities, Telco’s, and other creditors
- Assist you if you are being harassed by debt collectors
- Refer you to other services you might need, such as legal, accommodation, health and crisis services
Smart tip – Never pay for financial counselling. Businesses that charge fees for this are debt consolidation and refinancing companies.
Financial counsellors don’t:
- Charge set up fees and/or ongoing fees for service
- Complete tax returns
- Provide investment advice
How to Contact a Financial Counsellor?
Contact a financial counsellor
If you feel overwhelmed by debt, contact a financial counsellor as soon as possible. If you get help early, you will have many more options.
National Debt Helpline — 1800 007 007
The free National Debt Helpline is open from 9.30am to 4.30pm, Monday to Friday.
When you call, you’ll be transferred to the service in your state.
Mob Strong Debt Helpline – 1800 808 488
Mob Strong Debt Helpline is a free legal advice service about money matters for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples from anywhere in Australia.
The Helpline is open from 9.30am to 4.30pm, Monday to Friday.
Small Business Support Line
If your small business is struggling because of COVID-19 or natural disasters, call the Small Business Support Line on 1800 413 828.
Farmers or rural and regional businesses
Farmers and other rural businesses struggling due to drought or other hardship can talk to a rural financial counsellor. The government is funding financial counselling for small regional businesses affected by COVID-19.
November 17 2022
November 15 2022
August 9 2022