Submission to the Senate Community Affairs References Committee’s inquiry into the purpose, intent and adequacy of the Disability Support Pension (DSP)
Good Shepherd welcomes the inquiry into the purpose, intent and adequacy of the Disability Support Pension (DSP). Informed by the practice wisdom of Good Shepherd financial counsellors, case managers and the experiences of our clients, our submission examines challenges faced by women with disabilities and women with disabilities escaping family violence in relation to the DSP. Good Shepherd acknowledges women with disabilities are strong, resourceful and resilient. Yet, women with disability throughout Australia bear a disproportionate burden of poverty.
Women with disabilities, particularly those experiencing or at risk of family violence, face complex and profound challenges in their daily lives. They need support that promotes wellbeing and dignity. Good Shepherd calls for:
- Fair and accessible social protection for people with disability
- A responsive, humane and efficient eligibility system that reflects the nature and diversity of disability
- An income that promotes wellbeing and dignity
- Safety and support for women with disability experiencing or at risk of family violence
- A system that supports full economic participation by people with disability.
Download the report here
January 18 2022
December 16 2021
November 16 2021
October 12 2021