Housing and Homelessness
Submission to the National Housing and Homelessness Plan
Having a place to call home is a fundamental human right.
As a major family violence services and youth homelessness services provider, we are calling on the National Plan to recognising housing as the bedrock of women’s safety and financial security.
Our recommendations focus on:
- Placing women, children and young people at the centre of a homelessness plan, including through recognising family violence as a significant driver of their homelessness.
- Supporting family violence victim-survivors to stay in their existing homes, including more funding for Safe at Home initiatives.
- Delivering large-scale supply of social and affordable housing, including through harnessing the assets and expertise of non-Community Housing Providers in the not-for-profit sector.
- Supporting women to stay housed through a genuine Housing First model, including family violence-related protections.
- Providing national leadership on rental protections, to make renting affordable, secure and safe for women and children.
Download the full submission
November 3 2023
December 13 2023